Re: [ecasound] cs-set-length has no effect when a live input is present

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 00:26:33 EET

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:39:56PM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > If this behavior is known and an accepted limitation, I
> > think it should be documented.
>
> let's see:
>
> > ecasound -a 1 -i aco_67.wav -o alsa,default \
> > -a 2 -i alsa,default -o test.wav \
> > -c
> [...]
> > ecasound ('h' for help)> cs-set-length -1
>
> I think you've just hit one special-case. Quoting ecasound-iam(1) man
> page:
> --cut--
> dit(cs-set-length 'seconds')
> Sets processing time in seconds (doesn't have to be an integer value).
> A special-case value of '-1' will set the chainsetup length
> according to the longest input object. em([-])
> --cut--
>
> I just tried and if you set e.g. "cs-set-length 10", this will work
> correct even with chains that have infinite inputs/chains (never finish
> to an end-of-stream condition).
>
> Or did I miss something?

Hi Kai,

I guess I was suprised that that setup length
reported by cs-get-length ('length of the chain setup'
according to man page) wasn't the length of the
'longest input object' (used by cs-set-length).

I would expect 'length of the chain setup' to be the same as
the length of (audio) time the engine will run.

Here is a possible clarification of the current behavior
for 'man ecasound-iam':

       cs-set-length 'seconds'

       Sets processing time in seconds (doesn't have
to be an integer value). A special-case value of '-1'
will set the chainsetup length to the longest input object,
### however will not limit processing time if the
### chain setup under includes a device input.

I appreciate your care in answering most every question
posted. :-)

Joel

--
Joel Roth