Re: [ecasound] how to properly slave ecasound to jack transport?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 21:36:16 EEST

Hi,

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> I got it working, for reference the command line I'm using now is:
>
> ---8<---
> ecasound -D --daemon -E engine-launch -G:jack,ecasound_rdex,recv
> -i:jack_multi,meterbridge_rdex:monitor_1,meterbridge_rdex:monitor_2
> -f:f32 -o:"${DATADIR}/${DATE}.wav" &
> ---8<---

btw, just to be sure, note that with '--daemon', ecasound opens a TCP port
for inbound control connections (by default on port 2868). As there's no
access control, this it not always desirable.

If this is a problem, either use interactive mode (-> '-c'), or one option
I completely forgot myself, and that's '--keep-running'. This should also
solve your problem even if you run in batch mode.

> The only minor wart is that ecasound now does not quit when the
> transport gets stopped by my app, but that won't affect this project in
> any significant way.

Yes, this will be the case. What you can do is to send a SIGTERM to the
ecasound process from your app. This should be fairly easy from any
app, and is safe in the sense ecasound will exit cleanly when receiving
the signal (all files are closed, file headers updated, and so on).