Re: [ecasound] [ecasound-list] pyecasound and python3

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 22 2010 - 12:32:03 EEST

Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-08-22 05:04:49 +0200:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:10:18PM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > I understand that python is needed for third-party
> > applications/developers wishing to make use of the ECI API.
>
> Actually, there are many languages that can use ECI:
>
> C, C++, elisp, Perl, PHP, Python and Ruby are listed
> at http://eca.cx/ecasound/developer.php
>
> With Net-ECI, pretty much any language with a sockets
> library can do fine. Philipp Uberbacher, who says he is new
> to programming, has started programming Ecasound
> in Lua, and reports it didn't take him long to
> learn to use the Net-ECI interface.
>
> > It appears that ecasound builds cleanly with python2 or
> > python3 but that leaves me with a concern: will python3 be
> > compatible when the API is in actual use, i.e when working
> > with the provided modules?

It really didn't take me long, thanks to example code like ecamonitor,
which I guess is one of the things requiring python.

> Not sure if I understand which modules you mean.
>
> Python Ecasound interface is simple and clean.
> I wouldn't expect any new incompatibilities
> to arise there.
>
> There may be some issues about interopability
> of python2 modules on a python3 system.
> I have read that the two dialects have significant
> differences.
>
> Others will be more competent to answer to that.

Ray is the maintainer of my distributions Ecasound package, so I guess
it is mainly about building Ecasound and providing a clean and working
package (thanks Ray :)).
It currently depends on python, and at least to me it is
unclear why. What gets built when python is installed at build time?
Our distribution apparently is in the process of switching to python3 or
providing both variants, I'm not sure about it. If both are available
then whatever requires python would optimally work with either.

> If want want some added convenience features for
> Ecasound, you may like to investigate Nama,
> which is written in perl and runs under a
> console or terminal. Nama offers tracks
> and buses, is generally more DAW-like
> than Ecasound.
>
> Depending on your distribution Nama installs
> readily from either CPAN, or from the Debian
> package archives (unstable, testing, and soon
> stable distributions.)
>
> Best,
>
> Joel

Which reminds me that I forgot to make my nama buildscript available to
others. I'll see to it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Regards,

--
Philipp