Re: [ecasound] [ecasound-list] pyecasound and python3

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 22 2010 - 06:04:49 EEST

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:10:18PM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I understand that python is needed for third-party
> applications/developers wishing to make use of the ECI API.

Actually, there are many languages that can use ECI:

C, C++, elisp, Perl, PHP, Python and Ruby are listed
at http://eca.cx/ecasound/developer.php

With Net-ECI, pretty much any language with a sockets
library can do fine. Philipp Uberbacher, who says he is new
to programming, has started programming Ecasound
in Lua, and reports it didn't take him long to
learn to use the Net-ECI interface.

> It appears that ecasound builds cleanly with python2 or
> python3 but that leaves me with a concern: will python3 be
> compatible when the API is in actual use, i.e when working
> with the provided modules?

Not sure if I understand which modules you mean.

Python Ecasound interface is simple and clean.
I wouldn't expect any new incompatibilities
to arise there.

There may be some issues about interopability
of python2 modules on a python3 system.
I have read that the two dialects have significant
differences.

Others will be more competent to answer to that.

If want want some added convenience features for
Ecasound, you may like to investigate Nama,
which is written in perl and runs under a
console or terminal. Nama offers tracks
and buses, is generally more DAW-like
than Ecasound.

Depending on your distribution Nama installs
readily from either CPAN, or from the Debian
package archives (unstable, testing, and soon
stable distributions.)

Best,

Joel

--