[ecasound] optional dependencies

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 11:48:44 EEST

Another thing I'm looking at to improve my distributions Ecasound binary
are optional dependencies. In my case these are dependencies that either
aren't linked at all (ogg123) or that are linked at buildtime but the
app doesn't break if it's not present (seen this for wavpack in the moc
music player).
I did try mp3 and vorbis playback, mpg123 and ogg123 was missing, it
said that and quit, no problem at all. Those two can be used as
optdepend without issues. The user will know that he can just install
those to get the features.

I found a list, but I wonder whether I'm missing something, so I
figured, I better ask.

Optional when running Ecasound:

- for real-time audio input/output: ALSA, JACK or OSS runtime <- I
  guess those are linked and it breaks if it's not present

- for mp3 support: mpg123 (input) and lame (output) packages <- I guess
  this should be the other way around, but both can be used as optional
  dependency, right?

- for Ogg Vorbis support, the vorbis-tools package (ogg123 and vorbize)
  <- first time I heard of vorbize, does it still exist? A quick search
  came up with this thread:
  http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis-dev/2000-September/001249.html
  optimal would be: http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/ as
  recommended here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Vorbis
  but I think few distros have it packaged

- for .aac/.m4a/.mp4 file support, the FAAC/FAAD2 tools <- probably not
  linked?

- for .flac support, the FLAC package
     - note: since ecasound 2.4.5, libsndfile is the preferred
        way for reading and writing FLAC files <- I think our ecasound
        package will depend on libsndfile anyway through jack, so we
        won't need this one

- for MIDI .mid file input: Timidity++ <- for input? I guess it's for
  output and doesn't need linking?

- for tracker module support: MikMod package <- linked?

- for aRts (legacy KDE) support: the aRts server suntime <- I won't dig
  this grave up

Is there anything else missing?

Assuming my assumptions are right, these wouldn't need to be present at
buildtime and could be installed by the user later on:

mpeg123
lame
ogg123
oggenc (or something like it)