Re: [ecasound] 64 bit question

From: R. Bastian <rbastian@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 19:21:55 EET

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:53:54 -0700
Al Steffens <apsteffe@email-addr-hidden> scribit:

> I question whether we (the human ear) can hear the difference between 16
> bit and 24 bit audio. I know I can't. If there has ever been a
> double-blind experiment by professional researchers, I'd be interested
> to know. When 24 bit audio was coming out in commercial devices I
> attended an engineering seminar in Los Angeles by Texas Instruments. In
> promoting their new 24 bit capability, Texas Instruments reps could only
> dodge this question by saying that there are marketing pressures to
> offer 24 bits. As it is, one is pressed to show whether typical
> amplifiers have the SNR and linearity and bandwidth to resolve 1/32768
> of a harmonic component, let alone 1/8388608.

I am not so clever in English - but i will try to explainthe losses
with french & german words.

I have no direct experience with 24 bit/32 bit/64 bit but since ca. 3 years I can
demonstrate that the human ear is able to hear the difference between
sample frequencies: we can hear that low speed glissandi are not smooth.
So we need sr > 48 kHz.

The nederlandse phonetician Boersma says we need a sr > 500 kHz.

On the other hand, the word width should be in a reasonable ratio
with the sr - I guess that 32 bit would be sufficiant.

On my web sites (see below) you can hear the difference between
glissandi lower the 350 Hz and higher.

http://www.musiques-rb.org/echantillons.html

> One of the superior capabilities of Ecasound is as a real-time
> processor, such as a jack client. In my opinion, it would not make
> sense to increase the computational load at the risk of degrading
> real-time performance, unless 64 bit machines make this load transparent.
>

> Al

René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org
www.musiques-rb.org