Re: [ecasound] Possible inconsistency between libecasoundc and NetECI

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 20:05:58 EEST

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 01:35:40PM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > If I issue 'int-cmd-list' via NetECI, the commands are
> > separated by commas, as per the specification in 'man
> > ecasound-iam'. I get the same result if I issue the command
> > in interactive mode Ecasound.
>
> hmm, 'int-cmd-list' returns a list of strings, so commas are not
> necessarily used as separators.
>
> > However, I find that if I issue 'int-cmd-list' via libecasoundc
> > (via Audio::Ecasound), the commands in the return string
> > are separated by spaces.
>
> The C ECI API allows to access each string list item separately via
> 'eci_last_string_list_item(int n)', and the low-level Audio::Ecasound
> seems to provide these as well (eci_last_string_list* functions). But it
> would seem eci() function in Audio::Ecasound returns string lists a bit
> differently.
>
> E.g. the relevant code in Ecasound.pm:
> --cut--
> } elsif($type eq 'S') {
> my $count = $self->last_string_list_count();
> # differentiate from () err when ambiguous
> return ('') unless ($count && $self->on_error);
> my @ret;
> for my $n (0..$count-1) {
> push @ret, $self->last_string_list_item($n);
> }
> return @ret;
> --cut--
>
> .. so commas are not used as a separator, but instead an array of items is
> returned (and assuming I'm deciphering the perl logic correctly, the
> return value is a normal perl array).

Ack. I should have looked myself.

> But yeah, a bit confusing, but AFAIK still following the ECI docs. What do
> you think..?

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even look at my own code. <blush>

I was returning the result as "@result", in which
case Perl kindly joins the elements with spaces.

Adding to my confusion, I find that the *-register commands
use newline as a separator, which seems sensible enough.

ladspa-register returns output as _pairs_ of lines.

That's all okay with me. I look forward to the new
features and fixes of 2.7!

Joel

--
Joel Roth