Re: [ecasound] server option questions

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 10:44:30 EEST

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:07:58AM +0200, Klaus Schulz wrote:
> Hello Kai.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Klaus Schulz wrote:
> >
> > 1. I was wondering if an "echo -e "quit\r\n" | nc -w1 localhost 2868" is
> >> be supposed to kill
> >> the process.
> >> It is just working in interactive mode as I expected, but not in
> >> server mode.
> >>

> > hmm, that's a good question. In current implementation, it just terminates
> > the remote client connection, but not the server process itself. I'm not
> > sure if this should be changed... any insights?
> >

> 1. The issue I have with this. If I want to setup a new process from remote
> for working with a new track I have to kill the ecasound process manually.
> It would be much nicer and easier to do that through the server option.
> 2. It is somewhat inconsistent to interactive
> 3. It is not described properly

I could get along with either way, however I have some

Regarding (1) I understand that you might want to have a new
Ecasound process to be sure that all your initializations
are fresh.

OTOH, Ecasound's initializations seem clean enough.

Has anyone reported memory leaks for long running instances?
Isn't 'cs-disconnect' sufficient to start from the
beginning?

Regarding (2) The idea of a server is to have a long-lived
process, so such a difference is not so odd.

(3) Of course the difference should be documented. But as a
reason... well understand you are running the bleeding edge. :-)

Regards,

--
Joel Roth