Re: [ecasound] server option questions

From: Klaus Schulz <kls.schlz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 10:07:58 EEST

Hello Kai.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Klaus Schulz wrote:
>
> 1. I was wondering if an "echo -e "quit\r\n" | nc -w1 localhost 2868" is
>> be supposed to kill
>> the process.
>> It is just working in interactive mode as I expected, but not in
>> server mode.
>>

> hmm, that's a good question. In current implementation, it just terminates
> the remote client connection, but not the server process itself. I'm not
> sure if this should be changed... any insights?

1. The issue I have with this. If I want to setup a new process from remote
for working with a new track I have to kill the ecasound process manually.
   It would be much nicer and easier to do that through the server option.
2. It is somewhat inconsistent to interactive
3. It is not described properly

> 2. Stop is rather a "pause" as I see it!? Is there a real "Stop" going
>> back to position 0?
>>

> Yes, stop is like a tape recorder stop: tape stops rolling, state is
> preserved and tape is not ejected (so it's still ready for immediate use).
>
> If you want to go to position zero and start again, "stop" and "setpos 0"
> will do the trick.

Good to know. That seems to be the way it is.

> 3. What's the difference between engine-halt and stop?
>>

> The former halts and exits the engine thread. To continue the tape recorder
> metaphor, 'engine-halt' would be like ejecting the tape and powering off the
> tape recorder. The tape (=ecasound chainsetup) can be edited with other
> tools.
>
> Hopefully not too many people need to bother with 'engine-halt' and
> 'engine-launch', and their semantics, but in some cases they are needed. For
> instance when using JACK, 'engine-launch' registers ecasound with the JACK
> server while 'engine-halt' tears down the connection. This is important
> especially when syncing to JACK transport state ("stop" in ecasound may be
> overridden by "start" in some other JACK application). By disconnecting from
> the engine (with "engine-halt"), this can be temporarily avoided.
>
> But yeah, these are not really intended for wider use. For most
> use-scenarios, plain "start" and "stop" should be sufficient.
>
> I am running 2.7.0 git.
>>
> [...]
>
>> 4. What happened to the "eadb" option?
>>

> It's still there (e.g. "-eadb:3"), and there have been no changes to it
> recently (since April to be precise).

OK. Just tried it. It still works. It's not in the man-pages though.
Tricky: If we talk about "gain" as a function you need to enter a negative
db value to attenuate, which is the number one use-case . This can lead to
problems ( See your example). Entering a +12db is done easily and will
generate a quite a bit of clipping not only in your ears.. Of course I know
that the user should know what he is doing.

THX Klaus