Re: [ecasound] moving from sox, how do I increase volume by X decibels?

From: Julian Peterson <julianpeterson@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 21:47:53 EEST

-ea amplifies by percentage; db, is a logarithmic scale, so the latter
can't be plugged into the former without first converting it. Also
problematic is that db is a ratio, so there is no specific value for
any given db.

That being said, a good conversion from db to amplitude is:

amp = 10^(db/10)

With this formula, a db of 0.0 would correspond to unity, or 1.0,
negative db values would decrease the amplitude, positive values would
increase it.

This would in turn need to be multiplied by 100 to be a percentage.

Hope that helps,
JP