[ecasound] moving from sox, how do I increase volume by X decibels?

From: Jason Galyon <jgalyon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 21:26:32 EEST

I am moving a system's dependency on Sox to Ecasound and am not sure
exactly how to go about increasing volume a set amount of decibels. To
explain, we have xml templates where effects are applied to the audio
and the current sox based system requires a value in decibels.

I have tried taking the decibel number, multiplying it by 100 and giving
that as a value to '-eva'.

However, my new system produces clipped and loud audio whereas the
current legacy system is smooth and much quieter.

What is a good algorithm I can implement?

--
Jason Galyon
Silver Screen Tele-Reality, Inc.