Re: [ecasound] Redirecting a FIFO pipe with raw MIDI to the Jack/ALSA system

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 23:22:36 EEST

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Thomas Baruchel wrote:

> I have a process writing raw midi on a FIFO. I want this raw midi data
> to be redirected to my fluidsynth/Qsynth synthetiser. Here is the output
> of my "aconnect -lo":

you actually don't need ecasound at all. Instead, you need to use the
snd-virmidi module that comes with ALSA (i.e. it's a standard component of
all Linux 2.6 kernels, so you most probably already have it installed). It
allows to connect apps using raw midi interfaces to ALSA sequencer and
apps supporting it.

Here's one tutorial from Frank Barknecht that I found after a quick
search:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-10.html

This Dave's (also a bit old) article explains virmidi usage as well:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8234

This is perhaps the most up-to-date resource:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/AlsaMidiOverview

> Second question: is it possible to merely "encapsulate" my FIFO without
> connecting it to anything, but only make it appear in the clients list
> (as a write-only MIDI client), in order to let me connect the various
> clients "by hand" with aconnect or JackControl or aconnectgui?

Yes, the snd-virmidi allows you to do just that. You just write to one of
the raw MIDI devices created by snd-virmidi from your app, and then
it's up to the user to make the connections with aconnect (and other
utils). Your app doesn't need to care whether others are connected to it
or not.