[ecasound] Redirecting a FIFO pipe with raw MIDI to the Jack/ALSA system

From: Thomas Baruchel <tbaruchel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 19:30:59 EEST

Hi,

I am aware that my question is very similar to a previous one:
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound-list/2001/03/0146.html
but I couldn't figure out how make it work in my own case.

I have a process writing raw midi on a FIFO. I want this raw midi data to be redirected to my fluidsynth/Qsynth
synthetiser. Here is the output of my "aconnect -lo":

client 14 : 'Midi Through' [type=noyau]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 128 : 'FLUID Synth (24033)' [type=utilisateur]
    0 'Synth input port (24033:0)'

I want the raw midi data written on the FIFO file to be sent to the client 128:0

It looks like ecasound does that very well, but I can't manage to do it.

(You must understand that I want the raw data to be redirected unchanged; I don't need ecasound for applying effects to it, but only for "encapsulating" the FIFO and make it available in the Alsa-clients system.

Second question: is it possible to merely "encapsulate" my FIFO without connecting it to anything, but only make it appear in the clients list (as a write-only MIDI client), in order to let me connect the various clients "by hand" with aconnect or JackControl or aconnectgui?

Best regards,

--
Thomas Baruchel