Re: [ecasound] mp3 output silence at begin and end

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 21:04:33 EET

Hi,

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Reza Iskandar Achmad wrote:

> Do you mean I need to generate a tone, let's say use ecasound and lame
>
> $ ecasound -i tone,sine,440,22.25 -o tone.wav
> $ ecasound -i tone.wav -o tone.mp3
> $ ecasound -i tone.mp3 -o tone-check.wav
>
> Would you like to let me know if I looking the tone-check.wav with a hex
> editor what that indicates the zero-samples?

...maybe it's easier to load it to a sound editor like e.g. Audacity and
look at how many null samples are at end and start. You don't have to do
this every time, but it's useful to do it once to verify the numbers match
with the theoretical numbers in lame documentation.

On my setup, there seems to be a padding of ~2258 samples at start, and
~380 samples at end. I have lame 3.96 and using default ecasound options
for lame.

If you need to get rid of these samples, you can for instance you ecasound
threshold gate to get rid of the padding. E.g.:

ecasound -i tone.mp3 -o tone-check.wav -b:32 -ge:1,1

... get rids of the padding altogether. You may need to adjust '-ge'
parameters for your samples (so that no valid samples are cut off).