Re: [ecasound] [ANN] Ecasound/Nama recorder-mixer version 0.978

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 09:11:53 EET

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 08:41:00PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Joel!
> I didn't use it yet, just came home... BUT: You're an animal! And that
> is to be a compliment. :-) Such a lot of work in such a short time. I'll
> get around to it some time this week, when university lets me breathe for
> a moment.

I found a post where Kai mentioned that recompiling Ecasound
takes half-an-hour or so. That, with the large codebase,
need for backwards compatibility, maintenance and testing
makes it hard to add lots of new features.

For me, the code/compile/test cycle is way shorter... just
a few seconds since I got a spiffy dual-core
notebook. So I can be a bit more agile.

I also have some good diagnostic features, such as
being able to easily dump and inspect data structures.
You might try the 'showio' command to see the
data structures used to generate the chainsetup,
which in turn is shown by the 'chains' command.
You can dump the data for the current track
by typing 'dump'. Or the whole kit-n-kaboodle
by typing 'dumpa'.

What really kills me is the parser. I uses a heavyweight
library called Parse::RecDescent thats convert a grammar
specification into a parser. It uses a runtime 'eval' to do this,
losing all the clever diagnostic messages perl provides
during compile-time checks.

I don't get a line number or error message when something
goes wrong. It just breaks :-(

On the other hand, it is really clever, too. So a kind
of love/hate thing.

I'm in the process of moving code for command actions into
the main program body so the parser stuff will be easier to debug.

Joel

--
Joel Roth