Re: [ecasound] how to use ecasound in pipe?

From: Adeel N <adeeln@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 26 2008 - 03:02:48 EET

> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:08:56 +0200
> From: wimmer@email-addr-hidden
> To: sergstesh@email-addr-hidden
> CC: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> Subject: Re: [ecasound] how to use ecasound in pipe?
>
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> Hello Sergei,
>
>> Well, if I understand your problems/questions correctly, you need a
>> number of things:
>>
>> 1) FLAC -> headerless raw audio:
>>
>> flac \
>> --force-raw-format \
>> --endian=little \
>> --sign=signed \
>> -d \
>> -c \
>> FILE_1.flac ... FILE_N.flac
>>
>> - the above outputs to stdout;
>>
>> 2) ecasound input from the above:
>>
>> ecasound -D -z:nodb -f 16,2,44100 -i stdin
>> .
>

> Sorry for misunderstanding. That is not my problem.
>
> My input is live broadcasting which I'm reading from RME soundcard via
> JACK server (in general it could be microphone connected into standard
> soundcard too). I wish to transcode this live audio stream on the fly to
> flac and provide it on streaming server to outside clients (media
> players).
>
> So I have first part of process line - live audio data accessible on the
> JACK server.
> And I have last part of process line - I could use vlc reading live
> audio data in WAV format on its standard input for both transcoding to
> flac and providing transcoded flac stream on streaming server (may be I
> could use other producers and streaming server but I didn't find any
> working with FLAC).
> What I need is put these parts together.
> So I'm finding how to use ecasound (or something else) for reading audio
> data from JACK server (this I know) and sending them in WAV format to its
> standard output (or named pipe).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Milos

Milos,
I've done something similar, where I had a live mic input go through jack, through ecasound, and then be broadcast over a network without too many problems. However, I was not using FLAC, nor was I using VLC. I came across a program called MAST (as I needed to multicast) and had the output of ecasound pipe to MAST then out to network. I don't have the command on hand at the moment, but I should be able to dig it up for you in a few hours.

The one thing to note though, any encoding/transcoding will add noticeable delay to the stream, so if you have a mix of a live audience and streamed audio, the delay will be perceivable to the live audience if it's over 5-10 ms.

Adeel