Re: [ecasound] strategy for RT commands that produce audio dropouts?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 18:12:11 EEST

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, francis keyes wrote:

>> However, there is no technical obstacle for changing this (i.e.
>> making "ctrl-select" RT-safe). So I'll put this on the todo-list...
>
> That is amazing.  Thank you so much!

this was probably the easiest feature request I've ever implemented.

... because it already works. :) Only thing I needed to change was the
ecasound-iam manual page that incorrectly stated that 'ctrl-select' et al
are not real-time safe. And of course, when replying to your original
question, I only checked the manual page, not the actual code. Doh,
sorry about that.

> Please disregard that.  I found the problem tonight, and it was simply
> my error.  I didn't realize that the "-kx" option would have to be given
> separately from the "ctrl-add" command  in interactive mode.  I was
> trying to do "-kx ctrl-add -kos:4,1,5,0.5,0" for the second controller.
> Once I started giving the "-kx" command first on its own things started
> working properly.

Yeps, currently you can only give one command at a time.

I've thought about adding shell type of way to concatenate commands --
something like "-kx ; ctrl-add -kos:4,1,5,0.5,0 ; start". Not a big change
in the end, and would be nice for some things (e.g. storing more complex
"transactions" in the command history in interactive mode). Hmm, why don't
I add a ticket for it... done:

#2132341 "Multi-command sequences in interacitive mode"
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=4605