Re: [ecasound] ecasound + (2 inputs -> 4 outputs) LADSPA plugin - wrong channel assignment

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 13:18:32 EEST

--- On Sun, 8/24/08, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound + (2 inputs -> 4 outputs) LADSPA plugin - wrong channel assignment
> To: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>

> http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.5.1devel-20080823.tar.gz
> >
> > thanks for the tarball, the problem seems to be gone
> now.
>
> ok, great!
>
> > I even modified the 1010 plugin in a manner it
> differently attenuates
> > channels while copying them, so observing output
> amplitudes I can say
> > that channels are now assigned correctly.
>
> "-i:tone" and "-eac:" (channel amplify)
> can be also useful tools when
> testing multichannel routing. I.e.
>
> -f:16,4,44100 -i:tone,sine,880,0 -o foo.bar
>
> ... will produce 4 channels of sine tone. Then you can use
> -eac to mute
> some of the channes. I.e. to mute 1, 2 and 4, you'd add
> "-eac:0,1 -eac:0,2
> -eac:0,4". Also "-ev" can be useful to
> quickly check which channels have
> audio in them (can be inserted at any point in the chain
> -- reports some
> stats at the end when chainsetup is disconnected).
>
> > I'll keep you posted, hopefully you'll soon
> decide to make 2.5.2 release.
>
> I'll try to do that soon. During the past few years
> I've been making
> releases much too rarely. And of course, the less often you
> do releases,
> the more time you end up spending per one release. So
> it's a kind of
> self-feeding loop that leads to even slower pace of
> releases.
>
> --

Well, in this latest ordeal I used 'octave' and its plotting facilities to
both prepare input test data and to analyze output, the points were
convenience and no relying on 'ecasound' which was under testing.

And I also used 'audacity' to check waveforms, but lately mostly 'octave'.

My test data had 10 seconds of lead-in silence (zeros) in order to flush
buffers from previous runs.

Regarding the release - I hope it's not complicated, if you are not going
to introduce new features, then it's probably just renaming some version
variable and running another build sequence to create the release tarball.

Thanks,
  Sergei.