Re: [ecasound] 2.5.0 crashing X

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 01:15:35 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> I have just had the same experience on my SUSE-10.3 box, self-built
> ecasound, no JACK, pressed Ctrl-C several times trying to quit a simple
[...]
> I wasn't running as root, so I do not quite understand how a non-GUI
> non-root program can crash X.

as your X session is usually run under the same user account as you are
running ecasound, permission-wise ecasound (or any other app) can easily
kill the session.

But this really shouldn't happen as ecasound is not (as part of normal
operation) killing any other processes than child processes itself has
created. Of course the X session manager is still a parent process (and
part of the same group), so some weird signal handling bug might affect
the parent as well. But the session managers are pretty robust against
these, so I have no idea what could be causing this.