Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.4.6.1 possibly disrepsects LADSPA spec WRT last buffer

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 04:21:08 EEST

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.4.6.1 possibly disrepsects LADSPA spec WRT last buffer
> To: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 2:21 PM
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > - please pay attention to
> "sample_count=147".
> >
> > IIRC, LDSPA spec demands two things:
> >
> > 1) sample_count should be a power of 2;
> > 2) sample_count should not change after plugin
> instance is created -
> > this is important for block transforms like FFT.
>
> now while I agree this would be a convenient feature, I
> think current
> LADSPA spec does not mandate either (1) or (2). Thus even
> if ecasound
> would follow these requirements, some other LADSPA hosts
> might not. You
> might be mixing LADSPA with JACK, as JACK indeed requires
> both (1) and (2)
> in its public client API.

You are probably correct.

And since ecasound has JACK backend my requirements stand :-).

Seriously, a non-power-of-2 buffer makes a lot of things difficult,
like, for example, circular buffer implementation becomes much less
efficient since it is impossible to apply a (2 ** n - 1) mask on
running index.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

P.S. I am very well aware of the 1197 plugin, in fact, there is even a
derivative of it of mine.