Re: [ecasound] Problems getting realtime recording.

From: Avuton Olrich <avuton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 13:33:43 EEST

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> actually you've discovered a _very_ old (more than six years at least) bug
> in the warning message (just in the message). The above should say "record
> overrun". I actually update the whole message in the current devel tree
> to:
>
> "WARNING: ALSA recording overrun, some audio samples were lost!"
>
> ... so there has been a too long break in process scheduling and some
> recorded samples were lost. The reason is either:
>
> a) too little buffers in the audio driver/hw (try -z:intbuf)
> b) kernel scheduling issue
> c) bug in ALSA or the specific driver

OK, I actually have z:intbuf enabled. It's some kernel oddity. Is
there a way I can get the system time an overrun occurs?

>> I have also gotten the following error message (repeated many times):
>>
>> Unknown device state '3'
>
> That suggests something fishy going on with the ALSA driver. State '3'
> is an ALSA enum "SND_PCM_STATE_RUNNING", i.e. everything is ok. But what's
> weird is that the above message from ecasound is printed when ALSA returns
> an error when reading audio data, but the device state is not "XRUN"
> (underrun has occured) nor "SUSPENDED". So it would suggest that something
> has gone bad at the driver level.

Oh, in that case, I reverted to 2.6.24 (as recommended by Andrew Lees)
(was using 2.6.22 before this, and I guess I'll revert to that if this
continues to be an issue).

Thanks for the help

--
avuton