Re: [ecasound] EWF refactoring, testers needed

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 07:53:11 EET

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:41:47PM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just pushed a big rewrite of Ecasound's EWF (Ecasound Wave Files, see
> the user's guide for more info) support to the public git repo.
>
> The EWF related code hasn't been touched in a long, long time, and it was
> supposed to be replaced many times by something completely different
> (EWF-v2, audio locators, etc). As a result, the code has rotted quite
> badly, and many severe bugs were never fixed. Oh well, now I decided it's
> time to either polish it up or drop it from the codebase altogether. I
> ended up choosing the former path...
>
> Also noteworthy is that the ability to write to EWF files has been now
> deprecated. Let me know if someone will miss this feature.
>
> So here's my first attempt at a better EWF implementation which should
> gracefully handle all the corner cases as well, and in general, be more
> robust.
>
> Testers are now welcome! I listed a few people on the cc-list who have
> reported EWF related bugs during the last few years. This most recent
> snapshot just might fix the problems you reported. :)
>
> Get the git repo with:
> - sh> git clone http://ecasound.seul.org/ecasound.git
>
> Or download a snapshot from:
> -
> http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.4.6.1dev-20080304.tar.gz

Hi Kai,

Glad to hear about this. I hope to revisit my python-eci scripts in the
next weeks and hopefully, finally, get my ecasound based streaming
internet audio installation up and running this summer. So, this is
pretty good timing. :)

I'm just back from LAC2008 and have some post-conf work to take care of,
but hopefully I'll have time to look at this ecasound stuff in the next
weeks.

-Eric Rz.

believed to be clean.