[ecasound] Problem with crop gate open time

From: Joe Planisky <joe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 17:50:19 EEST

Hi All,

I've started using ecasound (version 2.4.4 on Ubuntu 6.10) to help
digitize some old analog recordings and I'm having a problem with the
crop gate (gc). Specifically, the gate doesn't seem to open at the
time specified. The command I'm using is something like this:

ecasound -i infile.wav -gc:870.102254,10 -o outfile.wav

The audio in outfile is 10 seconds of sound starting at 870.78
seconds into infile.wav. In other words, it seems as if the gate
opened about 0.68 seconds late. Now, quite by accident, I discovered
that the error in open time varies depending on buffer size. If I
specify a small buffer size, the gate opens too early. E.g.

ecasound -b:64 -i infile.wav -gc:870.102254,10 -o outfile.wav

seems to cause the gate to open at 863.45, or about 6.65 seconds
early. I tried all possible buffer sizes between 2 and 4096, but
none of them result in an accurate open time.

The files are ordinary f:16,2,44100 wav files.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

--
Joe