Re: [ecasound] Simple MIDI?

From: Dave Serls <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 01:21:09 EET

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:33:44 +0200 (EET)
Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Dave Serls wrote:
>
> > I keep getting "MIDI-to_audio stream does not support io_write, io_readwrite"
> >
> > for stuff like
> >
> > ecasound -i file.mid -o alsaseq,129:0 where the output is a fluidsynth input port,
> > and the input is rawmidi. Is there any magic syntax for this?
>
> I'm afraid the above usage is not supported. Ecasound chains only support
> audio streams. With MIDI this means that file.mid is converted into an
> audio stream with timidity (this is the default) and then fed to other
> components in the ecasound chain.
>
> Alsaseq on the other hand can be only used as an input to -km (=
> controlling operator parameters) and receicing MMC/MTC messages. In other
> words only the '-Md' option understands 'alsaseq'.

  Before moving on to something rational, I tried the following.

  1) replaced the normal eca-command-timidity with 'aplaymidi -p 130:0 %f'
     where 130:0 is a fluidsynth input port.
  2) ran an ecasound like:
     ecasound -a:1 -i m0006.mid -o null \
              -a:2 -i jack_auto,fluid2 -o m0006.wav

     fluid2 is the jack output of the fluidsynth instance.

   I did get a couple of nice measures out of the speakers before everything
   crashed with horrible underruns. Would this work if aplaymidi put silent
   blocks onto stdout? Would they need to be the correct format, number or size?

   I know it's unbelievably slimy, but so tempting.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *