Re: [ecasound] ecasound for mac os x

From: Chris Thompson <chris.j.thompson@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 11 2007 - 23:51:42 EET

On 2/11/07, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> now I don't have a Mac either at the moment, but I have tried compiling
> ecasound on one, and it was just matter of "./configure && make", i.e.
> exactly as on any POSIX system.

I ended up just trying the standard POSIX method, and it worked fine.
I used ecasound 2.4.5, so it can go on the record that it can readily
compile and install on OS X (10.4)

> But, but -- what packages need to be installed to a vanilla Mac before
> the above works, that I'm not completely sure about. :( If there are any
> Mac users listening, it'd be great if you could shed some light on this
> for us!

As far as base packages go, the target machine had nothing development
related on it until the installation of the most recent XCode tools
package from Apple (which gives gcc 3.3 and 4, along with most of the
base libraries and buildtools needed to do basic GNU programming
work). The only other thing that was installed was the Audiofile
library (as per the optional requirements for ecasound, compiled from
source with no problems or special configuration needed).

> Getting JACK support working requires a
> bit more effort, but is also doable (at least more than one person has
> reported getting it working :)).

I didn't need JACK support for this project, so that was not an issue
(although JACKOSX [http://www.jackosx.com/] might be worth looking
into if I did need it).

The only other issue I have (unrelated) is trying to get faad2 to
compile on the system, so that the actual script I'm working on can be
tested (it needs to be able to read in a bunch of M4As and write out
one WAV). But that's an unrelated complaint.

As of now, it appears that ecasound itself is working fine. I'll mail
an update once I get the other kinks ironed out, to let everyone know
if it ended up working out well.

~Chris Thompson