Re: [ecasound] how to spatialize a track ?

From: Stuart Allie <Stuart.Allie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 06:07:19 EET

Hi Philippe,

First, you are right that -epp is the basic ecasound method for panning
a stereo chain. This is the basic spatialisation method available in
ecasound. However, I've been keeping notes on this and other uses of
ecasound, so here's a dump of things I've written down related to
spatialization:

ecasound panning chain op -epp:75 (if you have a mono source, make it
stereo with -erc:1,2 first)

ecasound fake stereo -etf:10 (needs a mono source)

MS (Mid-Side) processing: Steve Harris's ladspa plugins include a
stereo-to-MS converter and MS-stereo converter with width control. It's
interesting to convert to MS, process the M or S only then convert back
to stereo. Note that it is possible to to MS processing natively in
ecasound because the amplify chain operators accept negative
amplification factors, so we can produce the inverted signals we need to
get from LR<->MS.

Numerous stereo delays in the SWH and CMT ladspa collections.

CAPS ladspa plugins include a mono-to-stereo "pan" plugin with width
control. See also the CAPS "Scape" plugin which I haven't tried yet.

The TAP plugins include the "TAP fractal doubler" - it does quite a
nice job. You can also use the TAP stereo echo to get quite versatile
spatialisation effects.

Hope some of this is useful to you.

Stuart