[ecasound] working towards 2.4.5

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 00:59:56 EEST

Hello everyone,

as it's been such a long time since last release, I thought it's good time
to have a quick status update. In short, I've been personally tied up with
other projects, and I've not had sufficient time to concentrate on 2.4.5.
Though late, the release is still on its way. To see what's already
changed/added since the 2.4.4 release, check:

  * http://eca.cx/ecasound/history.php

There're a few severe bugs that I'd want to address before the release:

  * cleaning up forked encoder/decoders (-> problems about both
    output files missing some bits from the end, and OTOH, of
    forked processes left running)
      - this is tricky as some encoder/decoders do not handle
        signals properly, so you basicly need to find a good compromise
      - reported at least by Florian Ladstaedter
  * the "rw 0" problem reported by hardware@email-addr-hidden<hidden>
  * incorrect return values in interactive mode as reported
    by Zrajm C Akfohg

Then there are some bugs I'd wish to address but which I've already
postponed to 2.4.6:

  * segfault related to generic linear envelopes (reported by Jan Lana)
  * possible copy_range bug in ewf (reported by Eric Rzewnicki)
  * ecasound and duplicate LADSPA plugins (Paul coccolini)
  * ECI parser buffer overflows (Stuart Allie)

Of course, if anyone can help in solving these, I'm happy to include the
fixes already in 2.4.5.

... so no really major items on the todo lists, but I'd just need the time
and energy for a day or two of dedicated hacking to get the release out.
Oh well, while waiting for that, thanks to all the bug reporters - the
feedback is very much appreciated! And my humble apologies to all those
whose mail I haven't managed to reply.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv