Re: [ecasound] alsa problems recording (but not oss)

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 22:44:59 EEST

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Matthew Becker wrote:

> I have gotten ecasound going on my ipaq h2200 (running familiar 0.84-r3)
> and recording is rock solid with arecord at both dat mode (48000) and cd
[...]
> however, when i try to run ecasound with the alsa driver:
> ecasound -i alsahw,0,0 -o 1.wav -z:nodb -z:intbuf
> i instantly get xruns like crazy (every tick pretty much).

hmm, this seems _really_ odd to me. The mechanisms used to read from an
ALSA and OSS are almost identical performance-wise! :o

My guess would be that ecasound is triggering some bug in the ALSA
driver for h2200. You could try recording with "-z:noxruns", and see if
the output file is ok (maybe the xruns are falsely detected). You've
probably already tried with "-z:nointbuf"...?

If the same happened with both OSS and ALSA (but worked on arecord), this
would be easier to explain (ecasound uses float math, arecord doesn't ->
this can make a huge difference on devices without hw-based float math ...
but, but, h2200 should have enough horse power to do some simple
operations even in float).

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv