[ecasound] alsa problems recording (but not oss)

From: Matthew Becker <matt_becker@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 19:45:00 EEST

Hi Kai, all,

I have gotten ecasound going on my ipaq h2200 (running familiar 0.84-r3) and recording is rock solid with arecord at both dat mode (48000) and cd mode; I'm using alsa-utils-aplay version 1.0.8.

I'm running ecasound 2.4.4 however (a hacked install from the debian package repository) with libasound2-1.0.11-7

when i run ecasound like this with the oss driver, it's ok--no xruns (but locks up the machine a bit --recoverable):

ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o 1.wav -z:nodb -z:intbuf

however, when i try to run ecasound with the alsa driver:

ecasound -i alsahw,0,0 -o 1.wav -z:nodb -z:intbuf

i instantly get xruns like crazy (every tick pretty much).

like I said, arecord is working fine, i can record without any issues directly in. (even piping arecord to aplay works fine - no noise issues or whatever with a bit less than a second of delay -- so i know my soundcard -- the philips uda1380 -- supports full-duplex, as does the alsa driver.. sadly looks like oss doesn't on this).

I have no .asoundrc, just using the default alsa.conf file in /usr/share/alsa

is there anything that I could try to get this working with alsa? I really want to have full-duplex recording working (no effects required, just for multitracking )

cheers,

Matt

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com