[ecasound] new debugging mechanism for ECI/etc

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 03:57:46 EEST

Hi,

I was having some problems with ecaplay, and in debugging those, I came up
with a new mechanism to debug ECI apps. Might be also useful for debugging
scripted uses of ecasound. Copy'n'paste from latest docs:

Ecasound Control Interface Guide:
--cut--
\item Use the ECASOUND_LOGFILE environment variable to write all
engine output to a separate logfile. See ecasound(1) manpage
for details on how to use this mechanism. Requires Ecasound
version 2.4.5 or newer.
--cut--

ecasound(1) manpage:
--cut--
         dit(ECASOUND_LOGFILE)
         Output all debugging messages to a separate log file. If defined,
         em(ECASOUND_LOGFILE) defines the logfile path. This is a good tool
         for debugging ECI/EIAM scripts and applications.

         dit(ECASOUND_LOGLEVEL)
         Select which messages are written to the logfile defined by
         em(ECASOUND_LOGFILE). The syntax for em(-d:level) is used. If not
         defined, all messages are written. Defaults to -d:319 (everything
         else but 'functions(64)' and 'continuous(128)' class messages).
--cut--

If you are wondering about the debug levels mentioned above, see the
latest ecasound(1) with updated description for '-d:level'.

Code for the above is now in CVS, and in the following snapshot:
http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.4.5-cvs-20060604.tar.gz

PS This is also the first snapshot with no in-tree readline-4.0. Let
    me know if you notice any problem with readline supports with
    this one.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv