Re: [ecasound] BUG?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 00:37:11 EET

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Pedro Antonio Fructuoso Merino wrote:

> problem with that... :'( Do you know with what real-time audio object
> types works the pitch shifter? If I use jack without realtime, -B:nonrt
> and a BIG buffer in ecasound or similar method which I could "solve" the
> bug with?

ALSA and OSS both handle the stream generated by '-ei'. The fundamental
problem is that JACK requires ecasound to provide exactly X samples every
engine iteration. As the pitchshifter add/removes samples, it's not
possible to match the blocks to what JACK is requesting.

Of course, ecasound should be able to warn the user about this type of
problems, but it is currently lacking a mechanism to accurately detect the
unsupported scenarios. And I don't want to accidently prevent valid uses
(like what happened with the recent "no commas in filenames for
ecasignalview" case).

I recommend using the LADSPA pitchshifter instead. They are FFT-based and
work without adding/removing samples (-> are compatible with JACK).

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv