Re: [ecasound] How to do persistant recording.

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 22:35:14 EET

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Avuton Olrich wrote:

> I'm currently recording 24/7, I'm doing it in 24 hour periods then
> splitting it up into more managable raw files. This has been working
[...]
> In a perfect world I would be able to send some kind of signal to it
> (some kill signal?) and it would close the old filehandle, open a new
> one, and continue the writing. Is there any way to accomplish this
> with ecasound?

yes, many people have asked about this, and it's probably something that
should be added to Ecasound sooner or later.

Unfortunately this cannot be done without at least small modifications to
the engine (to make sure no samples are lost in the switch). The probable
mechanism would be to extend the .ewf wrapper format to support splicing.
I added this to the development item list as item 'edi-42' (soon to be
added to CVS and the website). I cannot say at this point about the
schedule for implementation.

PS It seems that I didn't manage to release 2.4.4 this year... but
    sooner or later. I'm still planning to continue with a steady
    rate of 3-4 yearly releases in 2006...
PPS Happy New Year everyone! :)

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv