Re: [ecasound] Newcomer problem with loop device

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 19:29:27 EEST

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 10:36:06AM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Stuart Allie wrote:
> >Erno Palonheimo wrote:
> >>I am having trouble with loop device. The setup is as follows:
> >>% ecasound \
> >>-a:master -i:loop,1 -o:jack_auto,alsa_pcm \
> >>-a:tape -i:jack_generic,audio_in -o:loop,1 \
> >>-a:mic -i:jack_auto,alsa_pcm -o:loop,1
> >ecasound \
> >-a:master -i:loop,1 -o:jack_auto,alsa_pcm \
> >-a:tape -i:jack_generic,audio_in \
> >-a:mic -i:jack_auto,alsa_pcm \
> >-a:tape,mic -o:loop,1
> Yep, the above is the correct way to do it.
> The basic concept for connecting chains is: to connect an input or output
> to multiple chains, you have to 1) select multiple chains, and 2) add the
> input/output.
> With loop devices, this is a bit tricky, as you don't want to create
> multiple "-o:loop,1"'s (using Erno's example here), but instead route all
> the chains through the one "-o:loop,1" object.
> If you replace "-o:loop,1" with "-o:jack", Erno's setup is ok to ecasound
> -- it's a normal use case to have separate jack output objects in
> ecasound, connected to different input chains.
> Janne Halttunen actually posted a patch in 2002/Dec that adds chainsetup
> "preparsing", which basicly automatically fixes above type of errors. But
> as it was a generic version that merges all objects that have identical
> label (like "-o:loop,1", "-o:jack"), I couldn't commit it the the
> mainline back then.
> But, but, thinking about this again, I guess we really should fix this,
> specifically for the case of loop-devices. I'm a bit worried about adding
> multiple ways to do the same stuff (after the fix, both Erno's and
> Stuart's version would work), but I guess in this case making the fix
> actually causes less confusion. What do you guys think?

I think you should not fix this. I don't think it's broken. 'fixing' it
would hide the way ecasound works. I know I've made similar mistakes in
the past, but once ecasound's operation is understood it makes sense, at
least to me. just my $.02

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia