Re: [ecasound] problems with cs-set-position

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 14:31:20 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Pedro Antonio Fructuoso Merino wrote:

> when i made successively "cs-set-position time-in-seconds" a have two
> problems:
> - i have a littler "jump" or "silent" in the reproduction

yes, this is unavoidable due to double-buffering performed by the
disk i/o subsystem. You can minimize by disabling the double-buffer
(-z:nodb), but you will increase the risk of xruns.

> - if i made a "cs-get-position" and a "ai-get-position" the return value is
> correct if the reference i took is the value sended with set-position, but it
> wasn`t the real time position of the song. This didn`t happen if i made a big
> jump in the time position. E.g., i make four "cs-set-position 100" every 2
> seconds (or less), a cs-get-position and a ai-get-position give me 100 but i
> can listen the real time is over 105-108. If i make ai-set-position i haven`t
> this problem.

Ok, this sounds a possible bug. There will be some delay between the
cs-get-position and what is currently played out caused by audio device
output latency, but this should not be multiple seconds. Do you get the
same results with -z:nodb ...?

One thing to be careful is mixing ai-set-position and cs-set-position. The
two can be independently set - i.e. if you set ai-set-position to 102,
cs-get-position (the chainsetup level position) is unaware of this. And
also, ai-set-position is not a real-time command (see ecasound-iam(1) man
page for details) which means that the whole engine is stopped and restarted
while performing the command.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv