Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.3.0 mp3 header problem

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 19:57:43 EET

Hello,

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Julian Dobson wrote:

> I've been recently having difficulty with 2.2.1, so took the opportunity to
> upgrade to 2.3.0. Unfortunately, this release also didn't solve my problem.

I'm a "bit" late with this reply, but I just encountered similar problems
with some mp3 files and ended up digging these old mails from the
archives. :)

> On investigation, it turned out that while the code had been updated to
> search the whole file for a header, the code checked for a second header
> incorrectly. Specifically, the first header is found inside a loop while the
> second header is found outside the loop. In my particular situation, the
> id3v2 tags appear to fake a header, so the second check fails.
>
> The solution was to move the second check inside the loop, so the loop only
> exits after two consecutive good frame headers.

I've now refactored the whole header parsing code based on the patch you
submitted on 2003/Sep/07. The new code is now in CVS, and part of today's
snapshot at:

http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.4.1-cvs-20050313.tar.gz

Please test this against your mp3 collection and try to find some files
that are not understood by the new parser code (if possible, put the
offending mp3 files somewhere on the web and send me the URL so I can try
to debug what is causing the problems).

PS And of course, Julian, thanks for the patch! :)