Re: [ecasound] Ecasound 2.4.0 released

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 17:15:44 EET

Hello,

btw, first a general notice to all subscribers: ecasound-list messages do
not have a reply-to header anymore. I still recommend replying to the list
in all normal cases (exceptions: private matters, big attachments, etc).
I've been getting more private replies than usual to my list postings
recently. Now this is ok, but I do give higher priority to answering to
mails posted to the list (as these benefit all users). But, but, this just
to encourage the use of this list...

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> audioio_arts.cpp is not included in the distribution, and thus
> it cannot be built.

D'oh! :( I upgraded my development machine from rh9 to debian-testing last
week and it's still missing various packages that I use less often. Now
one of them is aRts. And as it happens, there was a bug in the makefiles
that only those plugins which were enabled by configure were included in
the dist-file. So as I didn't have aRts on my system, 2.4.0 didn't have
it either. :(

Oh well, I added a notice to the download page to warn about this problem.
The quick fix is to add --disable-arts to configure. I'll try to release a
new snapshot that contains a better fix (already in CVS).

Btw; personally I'd recommend to drop aRts support from the Debian
ecasound package. Ecasound has never supported the full aRts API, just the
libartsc compability layer. So basicly you can get the same functionality
by running ecasound with artsdsp wrapper (which I guess is very common way
to run audio apps in KDE when aRts is enabled). And having aRts support
enabled by default does make the ecasound package a little more fragile to
changes in the build environment.