Re: [ecasound] BUG: Comma's in input file name

Subject: Re: [ecasound] BUG: Comma's in input file name
From: Kai Vehmanen (kvehmanen_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 19:02:39 EET

Hello list,

coming back to one old issue this time.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Julian Dobson wrote:
> More of an annoyance than a bug I guess, but passing a filename that
> contains commas to the input (-i) causes a problem as the code parses
> the arguement looking for input modifiers. Placing the filename in
> qoutes doesn't work either.

the latest 2.3.6 snapshot [1] contains now many fixes to the way ecasound
handles commas. Unfortunately there are some cases that are pretty much
impossible to fix without breaking backwards compability. For example:

ecasound -i foo,bar.mp3 -o alsa

This simply does not work, as there is no way to determine whether user
wants the first argument for -i to be 'foo' or 'foo,bar.mp3'. :(

The snapshot now supports escaping commas with backslashes. IOW,

ecasound -i foo\\,bar.mp3 -o alsa

.. works with the snapshot. The backslash has to be a double-backslash as
the shell strips one of the backslashes away before passing the
arguments to ecasound. I added a short note about this to the User's
Guide.

> I would suggest either treating the input argument as correctly
> formatted comma separated values, or moving the input modifiers to their
> own parameters (i.e. have a --typeselect mp3 instead of -i
> typeselect,.mp3,my.wav).

Yup. Unfortunately it's kind of too late for that .. we would have to
break backwards compability or to maintain two different interfaces. :(

[1] http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.3.6-cvs-20041209.tar.gz