silent failure

Subject: silent failure
From: Maik Musall (lists_AT_musall.de)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 10:15:22 EEST

Hello,

I've got a problem that ecasound fails recording, stops execution
immediately but gives no error message and exit code 0, so it's quite
difficult to deal with that error.

I'm new to ecasound. I'm using it since a week for continuous recording
of two radio stations. I have two radio tuners connected to AC97 cards
and have a cronjob that starts in the morning and records until the
evening with the following script (checks at beginning left out):

hour=`date +%H`
while [ "$hour" -ge "07" -o "$hour" -le "01" ]; do
    FILENAME=${SENDER}_`date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S`.ogg
    ecasound -t:$DURATION -i alsahw,${CARDNR},0 -q -o stdout | buffer |\
        oggenc -r -Q -q3 -o $FILENAME -
    sleep 1
    hour=`date +%H`
done

DURATION is 3599, CARDNR is 0 or 1 depending on the sender. At first,
I had DURATION 3600 but introduced the 1 second sleep because of the
described failures. The effect is that at some time when ecasound
starts recording a new hour, it immediately fails so it's restarted
every second. When that happens, it happens on both channels immediately.

The situation is cleared by restarting alsasound, but it's difficult
to catch that via script because ecasound leaves with exit code 0, so
up to now I'm left to detect that manually, which of course is somewhat
annoying.

What can I do to track that down?

Regards
Maik

P.S. System is Gentoo Linux 2004.3, Dual PIII-1000, three AC97 cards,
two of them currently in operation for this.