Re: [ecasound] Simultaneously recording many tracks

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Simultaneously recording many tracks
From: Tommi Sakari Uimonen (tuimonen_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 10:23:58 EEST

The most important would be

> lowlatency/preemptive kernel configuration

and along with that

> ALSA drivers

Those should be enough to keep you going.

So instead of -i /dev/dsp, use -f 32,2,44100 -i alsa

But if you still need some tuning:

> Jackd

I'd say let ecasound use its own realtime system with big double buffers.
I've got more reliably recordings with that than with jackd. Though I
haven't tested ecasound with jackd, just used jack_rec or ardour.

> tuning disks with hdparm or in your kernel config

And find out what filesystem gives you the best results.

> make sure your soundcard(s) is on the highest priority possible IRQs
> typically this means IRQ 9

Yes, this is good point. 3,4,5,7 are bad irq's

> make sure your soundcard(s) is not sharing IRQ's with any other devices

This too.

> > I have this application where I need to record many
> > many 32-bit/44100 stereo channels at once with some
> > M-Audio delta 1010LT sound cards.

Multiple cards in one computer or one computer for each card?

Tommi