Re: [ecasound] client buffer overflow

Subject: Re: [ecasound] client buffer overflow
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 16:58:22 EEST

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:

> the interactive mode. I feel more convenient now using it
> in a client/server mode. I wrote a small client in emacs lisp
> but encounter the following problem :
[...]
> When the command sent to the server has a length
> exceeding 32 characters, I get an error (client buffer overflow).
> I investigated the eca-neteci-server.cpp file and noticed that
> buffer size for input commands is in fact 32. Since I didn't

I've now committed a proper fix to this problem to CVS (will be in 2.3.3
release). Now the parsing buffer is dynamically grown if more space is
needed for parsing. This should cover even extreme cases. There's still a
hard upper-limit (2^16 atm) to prevent misbehaving clients from consuming
massive amounts of memory, but no real-life client should ever hit this
limit.

Thanks for the bugreport! I'll add your name to the 2.3.3 announcement.

---