Re: [ecasound] Real-time input/output

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Real-time input/output
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 02:29:35 EEST

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Jim Smith wrote:

> I'm a fairly new user of ecasound. I have browsed through the
> archives, and have not seen this addressed. I've installed ecasound
> on my FreeBSD 4.9 machine [no Jack support], and I besides all the

Btw, in case you are not aware, there is work underway to add
FreeBSD support to JACK. See the web archives of jackit-devel mailing
list...:

  http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/jackit-devel/this-month/0050.html
  http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/jackit-devel/this-month/0060.html

> I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get ecasound to use the
> input of the soundcard as its input, and the output of the sound card

The basic syntax is:

 ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp

... unfortunately the OSS API allows many ways for driver to implement
full-duplex support. So sometimes you need:

 ecasound -i /dev/dsp0 -o /dev/dsp1

And then there are some drivers that only support full-duplex if the
char device (say /dev/dsp) is opened in O_RDWR mode. Ecasound does support
still style of full-duplex in OSS, and probably never will as it has been
proven to be the wrong way to implement full-duplex.

PS The FreeBSD JACK guys are using the "newpcm" audio drivers. Are
   you using those too?

---