Re: [ecasound] still having problems with no sound with os drivers

Subject: Re: [ecasound] still having problems with no sound with os drivers
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia2_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 20:05:10 EET

scott_AT_drscott.dyndns.biz wrote:
> Hi there list,
>
> I am trying to record my keyboard from a line in to ecasound. when I
> perform the following command everything sets up right but I get no audio
> at all. The command I use is:
>
> "ecasound -i:/dev/dsp0 -o test.wav." When I play test.wav I get
> absolutely nothing. I don't hear anything and I am positive that I have
> everything hooked up. I am using the Os sound drivers on a Debian system
> with a Sound Blaster sound card with the jacks in the back. The keyboard
> is plugged in to the second jack from the left as you are facing the front
> of the computer. I am desperately needing some help here as I have just
> created a couple of songs and need to remove them from my kehyboards
> memory. If anyone can help me I would certainly appreciate it.

First the hardware... If your SB Live card sits upside-down (like mine
does), then you have the correct input (joystick/midi port is all the
way to the right (if facing the front of the computer) and "line-in" is
the second from the left).

I did the same ecasound command as above. I opened up "alsamixer"... (in
the shell... type "alsamixer"). I pressed the right arrow key to move to
the "Capture" "slider". I pressed the space bar to toggle "capture mode"
for the mixer selection called "Capture" (you will see "CAPTUR" at the
top of the "slider". On my machine, I couldn't record any sound to
"test.wav" unless "CAPTUR" was set on the "Capture" slider.

Alsamixer has many possible selections. Some may not even pertain to
your soundcard. But there may be another selection (raise level... set
CAPTUR...) on another "slider" that you may need to make in conjunction
with the above example.

Hope that helped...
Rocco