Re: [ecasound] Consistent buffer overrun problem (?)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Consistent buffer overrun problem (?)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:11:18 EET

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Arno van Amersfoort wrote:

> Ok. I already had a feeling that I had something to do with that. But
> what I don't understand is why does it get better when I increase the
> buffersize? I'd expect that changing the buffersize shouldn't make a
> difference then...

Buffersize defines the processing cycle (both for ecasound engine and
soundcard drivers). Let's say you have a buffersize of 23ms (-b:1024 at
44100Hz), and the difference between fastest and slowest soundcard clock
is 5%. This means that on every cycle, the difference between the cards
increases by 1ms. After 23 rounds, the fastest card will run totally out
of data and you will get an xrun error.

Now if the buffer size is -b:4096 -> 93ms, then it will take four times
more time for the xrun to occur.