Re: [ecasound] midi adjustment

Subject: Re: [ecasound] midi adjustment
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 15:27:16 EET

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Julian Claassen wrote:

> I wanted to use my synthesizer to control an effects parameter via
> the -km option. But it doesn't work. Ecasound runs peacefully, but
[...]
> Does ecasound start numbering from 0? Or are the controller-numbers
> I find in my manual for the synth usable?

The controller numbering starts from 0 and ends at 127. The same
convention is used in the MIDI spec, and by most/many MIDI devices. IOW,
the numbers in your synth's manual should work.

> I'm using my second soundcard for that purpose. The according
> port-number for the midi-device is 72 (in alsa-terms). On that
> soundcard it should be the first midi-device to find. I tried
> something like ramidi,midi1... I just exchanged '0' from the original
> ecasoundrc with '1'. But it doesn't produce any better results. Are

Ecasound only supports raw MIDI-devices, not MIDI-ports of the ALSA
sequencer subsystem. You can get around this by using ALSA's snd-virmidi
module (see ALSA wiki for docs). When snd-virmidi is used, the sequencer
ports can be accessed by virtual MIDI-devices /dev/snd/midiCXDY, where X
is the card number of the snd-virmidi module, and Y a number deriver from
the sequencer client id. To make Ecasound use these, add the
-Md:rawmidi,/dev/snd/midiCXDY option.