Re: [ecasound] Control ecasound remotely via distributed shell

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Control ecasound remotely via distributed shell
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 22:36:52 EET

Hi,

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Ronald L. Jolly wrote:

> The problem I am having, is starting the remote systems Ecasound executable,
> using dsh on the Controller system.
> I can begin to start ecasound via dsh if I put ONLY ecasound as the command to
> remotely execute,and get
> back the typical:
[...]
> USAGE:ecasound [options] printout.

This hints that ecasound is not getting any parameters passed on the
command-line. You need to pass at least the "-c" parameter to get into the
interactive mode.

> If in dsh, I specify that ssh use the "-t" option it appears the
> return message that the TERM
> environment variable is not set. I have tried all methods I know of to
> set the TERM variable So it appears to maybe the TERM environment variable from
> within dsh is not working properly.

This could be conflict between dsh and readline. Try launching ecasound
with '-D' option (outputs everything to stderr, libreadline not used).
The TERM variable is not needed in this case.

> /* Attempt to start ecassound on remote node fs2 */
> [root_AT_MSTR root]# dsh -w fs2 "ecasound"
> fs2: USAGE: ecasound [options]
> fs2: -c enable interactive mode
> fs2: -C disable interactive mode
> // much deleted..... Ecasound returns the USAGE list...

Yup, this is expected (issuing plain "ecasound" is equivalent to
"ecasound --help").

> /* Attempting to start ecasound with other parameters */
> [root_AT_MSTR root]# dsh -w fs2 "ecasound -o:tmp.wav -i:alsahw,0,0"
> [root_AT_MSTR root]#
> //ecasound exits without starting....

Hmm, this smells like readline/curses trouble. Try adding the '-D'
option.