Re: [ecasound] delay troubles / multivoice-chorus problem

Subject: Re: [ecasound] delay troubles / multivoice-chorus problem
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 22:31:00 EET

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Julien Claassen wrote:

> ecasound -i t1.wav -o alsa,default -etd:125,2,2,60,60 -etd:32,2,2,50,60

... hmm, works here. :o

> I'm not sure if these were the actual parameters, but they were close to
> that. The machine froze and that was it. I had to reboot by pressing the
> computer's reset.

Unless you were running as root, I doubt this was caused by ecasound.
User-apps cannot really freeze a machine like this. The real problem is
most probably in the kernel or some driver. Of course, running a specific
app with specific parameters can trigger a bug in kernel space, but the
bug still is in kernel space (-> and needs to be fixed there). But, but,
if you were running as root, try reproducing the behaviour with '-r:-1'
(no RT scheduling even if run as root).

> 2. Problem: I gave the lcr-ladspa delay (-eli:1436..._ some special
> parameters, where upon it crashed in the same way.
[...]
> Another ladspa-plugin not working correctly for a long time is the
> multivoice chorus (1216 or 1202 or something around those numbers). If I get a
> chorus effect, I also get an audible delay. It may be around 120 msecs or a

Hmm, I recommend reporting these to the plugin authors. Ecasound doesn't
really have any role in how LASDPA plugins handle different parameters. So
the bug would need to be fixed in the plugin code.