ecasound on low-end machines

Subject: ecasound on low-end machines
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 16:50:00 EET

Hello all,

I just finished testing Ecasound (2.3.0) on my old 486SX/25Mhz/16MB,
running Debian 3.0 (2.2.18pre21 as the kernel).

As the machine has only 16MB of mem, the build took ages (two days!) to
complete, but it did go through without errors. I also run the testbench
(make check) and it went through without problems.

So it seems Ecasound is quite usable even on low-end machine. The
compilation is painfully slow, but luckily you can do it on faster
machines and install only the binaries ("apt-get install ecasound"...).

As for compilation speed, I've added a new --disable-effects configure
option to Ecasound's CVS-tree. You can use this to build Ecasound without
effect and controller components. This significantly reduces the binary
size as well as compilation time.