Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording "rollover"

Subject: Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording "rollover"
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 00:39:09 EET

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, H. T. Hind wrote:

> I'm still unable to figure out the above problem. I would like
> the ability to record individual channels on a schedule and have
> different start and stop times. I'm looking to write the data to
> a wav file and want the ability to "rollover" to another file
> after a specified amount of time.

What's still a bit unclear to me whether recorded files can overlap (i.e.
the end of a.wav should be recorded to start of b.wav). If you need this,
you definitely need JACK.

> When I tried to do that using JACK ( it proved a little more
> complicated ). The same tactic as above works sometimes, but
> sometimes leads to ecasound being "zombified". Am I on the right
> track ? Is loading/unloading chainsetup the right way to achieve
> that ?

Chainsetup reloading is a valid approach. If you need to do "overlapped
recording" (see above), then you need at least two instances of ecasound
running and to use JACK.

You can get rid of the zombie-problem by relaxing JACK's realtime
behaviour - for example

  ./jackd --timeout=1000 -R --driver=alsa --device=hw:0 -s -n 3 -p 2048

... and preferrably run as root if you want to be sure to avoid xruns
(both jackd and ecasound).