Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav

Subject: Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav
From: Julian Dobson (juliand_AT_braverock.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 16:03:53 EET

You might try compressing to mp3 on the fly (as you orginally stated)
but use a higher bit rate (eg 320kb/s). This will use significantly
lower CPU - I currently encode to 64 and 128 kb/s concurrently and the
64 kb/s stream takes about 40% CPU, while the 128 is about 18% (this is
on a dual PIII 450MHz machine which is pretty tame hardware by today's
standards).

You mentioned that you are doing post processing on the files,
specifically converting them to rm format. I've never tried this, but
you might be able to convert straight to rm format. To do that, change
the ecasoundrc file so that the ext-cmd-mp3-output option points to your
rm encoder, then change your ecasound command to output to mp3.

Julian