Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav

Subject: Re: [ecasound] delta 1010,ecasound and recording to wav
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 00:59:31 EET

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, H. T. Hind wrote:

> I'm able to record using the above samples directly to mp3 files
> on at least 3 channels. As someone suggested on this list,
> encoding to mp3 on the fly chews up a lot of CPU which might
> result in Xruns. To avoid that, I'm trying to record to a wav
> file at a lower bitrate.

The CPU load is only one source for xruns. In theory (and on well-tuned
machines, even in practise) you can do audio processing without xruns even
with very high CPU loads. You can get pretty far just by running ecasound
as root and specifying "-r" (and jackd too (-R) if you are using it).

If you still want to try lowering the CPU load, you'll get the biggest
savings when you move from mp3 output to wav output. From there, lowering
the quality of written wav files does not help as much. Anyways, you can
still do it:

> ecasound -f:32,1,44100 -G:jack,ecasound,recv -a:1 -i jack -o
> ~/1.wav -a:2 -i jack -o ~/2.wav -a:3 -i jack -o
> ~/3.wav -a:4 -i jack -o ~/4.wav

Replace -f:32,1,44100 with -f:16,1,44100 is one example.

> Is there a way to get ecasound to start writing to another file
> while still recording ? Ideally, I'd like to have the ecasound
> process start recording and then write to another file(s) at a
> configurable amount of time. Is it possible ?

Hmm, so do you want to write the same material to multiple files, or do
you want to discard the start of the recorded material, or only write
to a file for a certain period of time? Ecasound can do all these things,
but the syntax varies from case to case.